“The first 1,000 days of life, the time spanning roughly between conception and one’s second birthday is a unique period of opportunity when the foundation of optimum health, growth and neuro-development across the lifespan are established” – UNICEF
The Brains Window Of Opportunity, Sarah Cusick, PhD UNICEF 2014
‘Mothers First’ nutrition strategy is to prevent malnutrition from happening in this first 1000 days of a child’s life beginning from conception.
We do this by:
- Prioritising malnourished pregnant mothers with targeted nutrition using locally available foods. This vital nutrition support is continued for 3 to 4 months post delivery.
- Monitor mother’s weight every month and adjust nutritional support as required.
- Empower women through knowledge sharing on their rights.
- Promote exclusive breast feeding for the first 6 months.
- Setting clear targets for monthly weight gains, birth weight, vaccination and breast feeding.
Our Results and future plans
We have decreased the number and severity of children becoming malnourished by 50% in all areas where we run maternal nutrition programs. This is a remarkable achievement in just 2 years of targeting malnourished mothers. Supporting ‘Mothers First’ will allow us to feed more mothers and so increase the amount of nutrition that their unborn children receives.